In addition to the warthogs and white rhino, there are impala, nyala and kudu all over. The guide told us how many of these animals work together to watch for predators. For example, zebras and impala are often together. Zebras have excellent eyesight while impalas have excellent hearing. There are also tons of dung beetles. Which makes sense because there is tons of dung. I was able to get a few good pictures today of a male pushing a dung ball with the female riding along. It was very romantic.
After a couple of hours or so we rounded a corner and came upon 2 water buffalo grazing in some bushes. (That is probably an unnecessary description. It is all bush. Hence, the African bush.) They were huge and menacing. Easy to see why they are part of the Big 5. In case you were wondering, the Big 5 are the water buffalo, the rhino, the lion, the leopard and the elephant. They are the 5 most difficult and dangerous animals to hint on foot. Water buffalo make you think they have run away and circle back around to attack you. They hold a grudge.
We stopped for lunch at one of the picnic areas. As we were hanging out waiting for our guide to lay out lunch, Willie and I were standing near the truck. I don't know what we were talking about but Willie all of a sudden shouted to the guide and everyone else within earshot that, 'There's a monkey after getting in the truck!' which in Irish means, 'There is a monkey in our truck and it is stealing our lunch bread!'. I turned around to see a monkey with a long bread roll in each hand jumping out of the drivers side widow into a tree. That little shit sat on a branch over our picnic table all through lunch eating our bread! After lunch as we were all laughing about the monkey incident, I was ribbing Willie a bit about being a useless monkey guard when mid teasing that same damn monkey ran past him again, into the car and got an apple!! Hahahahaha! It was amazing.
***Continued in part 3. Sorry I have a lot of stuff today and it keeps rejecting my uploads!****



No comments:
Post a Comment